Dr. Arsenio Cantos amd Mr. Jose Ledesma <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Rafael Bozeman Rodriguez <email@example.com>
Rafael Bozeman Rodriguez <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Kimberly K. Obbink <email@example.com>
Felix (Lex) Librero <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Dr. Teresita I. Barcelo <email@example.com>
Motilal Sharma <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Raj Gururaja <email@example.com>
Professor Rashid Bashshur <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Ricardo Cabrera <email@example.com>
Ninfa Saturnino Springer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Dear Dr. Cantos and Mr. Ledesma:
(1) I am writing this at the suggestion of Dr. Rodriguez.
(2) As he described to you, we would like to have a telemedicine
demonstration (and videoconferencing, if possible and necessary)
during the mini-workshop for the Asia-Pacific regional activities of our
Global University System project from October 29 to 31, 2000 in Manila.
(3) I am very delighted to hear from Ralph that you are willing
to offer us
your conference room for this event.
(4) Pls visit;
"Draft of Travel Grant Application to the National
(NSF) for the Manila Mini-Workshop -- 1 of 5: Travel Grant Application /
2 of 5: Workshop Schedule / 3 of 5: Grant Nominees / 4 of 5: Philippine
Counterparts / 5 of 5: GUS in the Philippines Pilot Project Proposal -
February 16-17, 2000"
which can be retrieved at;
This travel grant
application will be submitted by Dr. Obbink of
Montana State University (MSU) in Bozeman where Ralph and I were
once graduate students -- he was born there to have Bozeman" for
his middle name!!
This travel grant is for Americans attending the workshop.
This event will
be held on the condition that this travel fund is
granted from the NSF to MSU.
(5) Although this application was prepared for the University
Philippines/Open University, they could not have the telemedicine
demo/videoconferencing due to their severe budget cut.
However, if your college can provide us with
a conference room after the
telemedicine demo, I am sure that they would be willing to join in our
workshop. Pls contact on this matter with Drs. Librero and Barcelo.
(6) As you can also find in one of the attachments of the above-mentioned
material, Dr. Sharma of the Asia Development Bank in Manila has also
shown his strong interest in this event.
(7) Mr. Raj Gururaja of Agilent Technology (formerly Hewlett-Packard)
Hong Kong indicated his support saying that he would bring Sonos
(formerly HP) 5500 echocardiogram machine to Manila on loan basis for
this occasion, if you do not have it.
(8) Professor Rashid Bashshur of the University of Michigan may
staff to cooperate in this event -- as he is now providing a staff for
our Manaus/Brazil event (see below).
(9) Mr. Calbrera of EcoTech may also provide a software which
can produce 3D
image of a human heart out of the Sonos 5500 signal.
(10) This telemedicine demonstration will transmit the echocardiogram
pseudo-patient to the University of Michigan via 384 Kbps ISDN line for
diagnosis. The 3D image of his heart will also be produced to examine
its inside. The scanning of the echocardiogram can be done by a nurse,
but its diagnosis requires expert doctors with several years'
experience. High demand exists for the telemedicine in global scale.
This demonstration will also show the value of high-speed
telecommunication lines to open the eyes of decision-makers for their
installation in remote/rural areas of developing countries.
(11) Dr. Ninfa Saturnino Springer (a Filipino-American) will present
distance learning course on nutrition during this event.
She will do so during our Manaus event next week.
She is scheduled to be in Manila soon so that she may visit you.
(12) In addition to Sonos 5500 (which Agilent will bring to your site
this event), we would need followings;
(a) PictureTel (or equivalent) unit via
ISDN line at 384 Kbps, which
will call into a video bridge at the University of Hawaii, --
colleagues at the University of Guam and American Samoa may then
watch the demo,
(b) Internet access -- preferably at 56 Kbps or higher speed,
(c) Personal computers,
(d) Overhead projector, etc.
(13) Pls visit following URLs daily (particularly Item (c)) to keep
our International Workshop Technology and Distance Education for
Sustainable Development of the Amazonia" in Manaus, Amazona, Brazil from
May 31st to June 2nd;
(a) Official web site:
(b) Live audio/video streaming:
We expect AMAZONSAT will broadcast our event (particularly
telemedicine demo and videoconferencing from 7:00 pm to 9:00
pm of Eastern Daylight Time which is the same as Manaus
time) through Internet, in addition to their BRAZILSAT
analog satellite broadcasting.
(c) Roger Boston's photo gallery:
Roger will also broadcast audio/video streaming in other
sessions in May 31, June 1 and 2, than the above mentioned
telemedicine demo and videoconferencing in the evening of May 31st.
If you have a PC with Internet access at 56
Kbps, you can watch the
audio/video streaming of the telemedicine demo at Roger's URL -- though
it will be 7:00 am to 9:00 am of June 1st in Manila.
(14) ATTACHMENT I is the relevant URLs for your reference.
(15) I apologize for my disorganized msg since I am in the midst of
preparation of my trip to Manaus tomorrow -- will be back on 6/4th.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Reference web sites
2. Tampere conference
3. Global University System:
Paper on GUS for the Manaus, Amazon mini-workshop (May 2000)
Memorandum of Understanding for GUS Partnerships
4. Global University System Asia-Pacific Framework
5. Global broadband Internet networks
6. Global Service Trust Fund (GSTF):
GSTF as [Arthur C.] Clarke telecommunications project
7. Manaus workshop (English version)
Return to Global University System Mid-2000 Correspondence
List of Distribution
Dr. Arsenio Cantos, MD
St. Luke's College of Medicine
Mr. Jose Ledesma
President and CEO
St. Luke's Medical Center Philippines
279 E. Rodriguez Sr. Blvd.
Quezon City, 1102 Philippines
(632) 723-0301 / 723-0101 / 723-0199
Rafael Bozeman Rodriguez, Ph.D.
Former President of Trinity College of Quezon City
#7 Visayas Avenue, VASRA
1128 Quezon City, Philippines
email@example.com -- while in the US frm 5/28/00 to 7/15/00
Kimberly K. Obbink
Burns Telecommunications Center and Extended Studies
128 EPS Building,
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-3860
Tel: +1-406-994 6550
Fax: +1-406-994 7856
Felix (Lex) Librero, Ph.D.
Vice Chancellor, Research & Development
University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU)
College, Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines 4031
Trunklines: +63-49+536-6001 to 6 local 500/501
Dr. Teresita I. Barcelo
Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Philippines/Open University
Senior Education Specialist
Asian Development Bank
6 ADB Avenue
0401 Metro Manila
P. O. Box 789
Professor Rashid Bashshur, Ph.D.
President-elect of the American Telemedicine Association
Editor-in-Chief of the Telemedicine Journal
Director of Telemedicine
Professor of Health management & Policy
The University of Michigan Health System
Tel: +1 734 647 3089
Fax: +1 734 936 9406
Director, Sales & Marketing/Americas
555 Burbank Street Unit A
Broomfield, CO 80020
Fax: (303) 438-8530
Ninfa Saturnino Springer, PhD, RD, FADA
Associate Professor Emerita
School of Nursing
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI, 48104 USA
Home Address: 8234 Woods Trail
WhitmoreLake, MI 48189
Fax (707) 897-2949
* Takeshi Utsumi, Ph.D., P.E., Chairman, GLOSAS/USA *
* (GLObal Systems Analysis and Simulation Association in the U.S.A.) *
* Laureate of Lord Perry Award for Excellence in Distance Education *
* Founder of CAADE *
* (Consortium for Affordable and Accessible Distance Education) *
* President Emeritus and V.P. for Technology and Coordination of *
* Global University System (GUS) *
* 43-23 Colden Street, Flushing, NY 11355-3998, U.S.A. *
* Tel: 718-939-0928; Fax: 718-939-0656 (day time only--prefer email) *
* Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tax Exempt ID: 11-2999676 *
* http://www.friends-partners.org/GLOSAS/ *
Return to Global University System Mid-2000 Correspondence